1.11.2010

The One Where I Try to get Caught Up

I'm obviously really behind on my posts as I have now missed two major holidays, several Landon milestones, an ultrasound, a blizzard and various other blog-worthy events that I've now forgotten. So here goes my attempt to succinctly catch up in one post.

The Holidays:

Both were wonderful. Thanksgiving was hosted at our house for family that could make it. Andy successfully fried a turkey that I'm told was delicious, we made several trips to Manhattan to soak up all it's holiday goodness, and Landon was as cute and charming as ever.



Christmas was spent catching up with dear friends, enjoying traditions with loved ones, snowboarding, spoiling Landon, and focusing on quality time with each other before Andy headed off to 9 weeks of training in North Carolina and various other locations that as of yet are unknown.



The Move:

The AF gods have decided that 2 1/2 years is about as long as they'd like us to stay in any one place, and, as a result, Andy's been assigned to fly planes at Eglin, AFB near Pensacola, Florida. We'll be moving sometime this spring or early summer, depending on when our house sells. The fact that the baby's due in May has allowed us some leeway in the exact date of our move. Andy will be switching to a new plane (hence the training) but if you're interested in the details of the plane and the mission, you'll have to ask him. I've been slacking in my Air Force wifely duties lately so the farthest I got was, "How much will you be gone?" and "How dangerous is it?" before giving my thumbs up - whatever that's worth.

The past month or so we've been ridiculously busy getting our house in order (and keeping it in order - thanks Landon) to sell. It's currently on the market, and trying to sell a house in this economy has been an interesting experience and one that has left us seriously considering renting when we get to Florida.

The Boy:

Landon is proving to be a genius. I'm not one to brag, but this is an observation that I've heard many times over from strangers and friends alike and so I feel I'm allowed to say that I agree. Here's the evidence. At 17 months he could identify all his letters and numbers 1-10. At 17 1/2 months he could say the alphabet. At 18 months he can count to 13 and does so often and at random times. Clearly these abilities coupled with the fact that he finally stopped licking the outside of the toilet bowl indicate he has an IQ that is at least 3 standard deviations above the mean. Of course he also has the more elementary skills mastered, like naming colors and Sesame Street characters (Grover is the new favorite), but it's the numbers and letters that get people talking.

Other random facts about him: He's a human garbage disposal, just like his dad. He eats everything and stays a skinny little man. He repeats everything and if I were clever or had a good sense of humor I'd teach him witty things to say that would make people laugh. But since I'm not he's stuck with saying boring things like "fold socks".


The New Babe:

I'm now 21 weeks and feeling fine. We've decided to be surprised again this time. After posting my 20 week ultrasound pics on Facebook, I've already had various people assure me that based on the scans, they are certain they know what it is. The only trouble is some are "certain"it's a boy, while others are "certain" it's a girl. So the fun begins :) I'll post them below so you can decide what it certainly is for yourself.

Answers to FAQ:
1. Were you sicker this time?
I don't know. Andy insists that I was. I know I got physically sicker more this time but the general sense of hating food and always feeling carsick was prevalent for 17 weeks with both.

2. Are you more emotional this time?
Yes. I cry at most television commercials, some songs, and have to avoid watching The Notebook altogether.

3. Are you showing?
Yes. I've been showing since I was 6 weeks. But now everyone else agrees that I'm showing too. Except for a mom in Landon's play group. She thinks I look like I just ate a big meal.

4. Do you have names picked out?
No. Really, no.

Due date's May 24.




2 comments:

Melissa said...

I agree that Landon is a genius...and not just because he stopped licking the toilet bowl ;)

Adriane Nau said...

Yes- he cleary is a genius... I would expect nothing less given that he has such a smart mama!