1.31.2012

Seattle

We just got home from a week long trip to Seattle. I guess we just needed a break from all this 70 degree weather. I mean, it just doesn't feel right to wear flip-flops every day of the year, you know?
Actually we went to visit Andy's wonderful aunt and it seems we were quite lucky with our timing. We just missed the huge snow storm that shut down the city, and the airport, by a few days. When we arrived his aunt was still without power so she very generously put us up in a swanky hotel in downtown Seattle, and we got to remember what a real city is like for a night. The next morning we walked to the Science Center so the kids could explore and play before heading back to Aunt Ann's house which finally had power again after 3 days.
Checking out the sea anemones with Andy's cousin, Christy. When we first got to the museum Landon sought out her hand, then turned to me and said, "Mommy, would you please go over there now (pointing to the opposite end of the play area).  I just need to be with Christy. "
Livia barely stayed in one place long enough for me to snap a picture, but the blocks kept her still just long enough for this one

We planned a hike for Sunday but the constant Seattle rain made that a bust so we settled for baking cookies with cousins instead.

The kids were very hands on with this baking endeavor, so we weren't exactly sure how the cookies would turn out with all the little extras from Livia's enthusiasm and not quite enoughs from Landon's spills. Turns out Nestle Tollhouse cookies are even yummier when made with 1 1/2 eggs rather than 2. 


Play time with Ann while cookies bake

 Monday the sun made a rare appearance and we got in our hike around Tradition Lake after all. Livia insisted on hugging every tree within reach of the trail, and Landon got a kick out of finding the numbered posts that went along with the map of "things to notice".


Tree hugger

A rare smile from my little man. He was very anti-picture on this trip. 




 I don't remember the order of the rest of the days (traveling is lots of fun but also very exhausting at this point in my life) but here are some of the other highlights from the trip:
Playing with starfish at the aquarium


Landon trying not to get his picture taken

Watching the seals play in the harbor

Right after this picture was taken a news crew with camera walked up and tried to interview Andy and me about "nagging in our marriage". For those who know me well, I'm sure you can imagine how successful they were at getting me to talk on camera. 

Landon helping Ann buy some elephant garlic at the market to go with the fresh scallops we bought there for dinner. So good.

Some fun things I'm disappointed I didn't get on camera:

We had a really scrumptious crepe lunch at Pike's Place Market. I really didn't know crepes filled with tomatoes, basil, and cheese could be so delicious. 

We also paid a visit to a salon while Aunt Sue watched the kids. Andy lost a bet and had to get his back waxed. While we waited, Ann treated me to a manicure and pedicure. It was luxurious. One of these days Andy will learn to stop making bets with me.
When we got home Aunt Sue had helped the kids turn the entire living room into a giant fort. It was pretty awesome and something I'll never be able to live up to back home.

We experienced our first frozen yogurt bar. I'm not sold, but the kids had fun picking out their own toppings even though all Landon wanted were green M&M's.

It was a great time for all. Now we're back in Florida and our flip-flops trying to prepare for baby.
9 weeks to go...



2 comments:

Autumn and Barrett said...

What??? You were in Seattle and I didn't get to see you?! Come back!

Melissa said...

I love the picture of Livia all bundled up on Andy's shoulders.
So what was the bet Andy lost?
I can just imagine you and the camera crew! How funny.
Glad you all had a wonderful time! Can't believe baby time is only 9 weeks away!!